IDYLLWILD, Calif. — Idyllwild’s annual Memorial Day weekend yard sales continue Monday. Each year, the mountain village above Palm Springs goes all-out with sales in people’s garages, yards and parking lots. It’s a shopper’s paradise, loads of fun and worth a day trip. A few sales are fundraisers for churches, local fire department volunteers and other good causes.
A convertible Mustang and hydroponics gear are among this year’s treasures.
Idyllwild is a town where many people come to relax in their weekend cabins, some of which have been handed down through the generations. Every now and then, residents need to clean out their books, tools, furniture, board games, videos, musical instruments and rustic antiques.
For new residents, it’s a way to pick up some “mountain girl” clothes you may not be able to find on the “flatlands,” such as leather boots, hats, scarves and “lumber jack” shirts.
For tourists, it’s fun to visit with the locals and enter into the town’s culture. For locals, it’s a chance to catch up with friends.
Below are some sale locations in Idyllwild and the surrounding communities of Pine Cove and Mountain Center. Some sales are offered at residents’ homes and some at businesses.
Have fun shopping and selling. To find these addresses, use your smart phone or print this list and take it with you. Once you drive among the neighborhoods, you’ll see lots of signs to help plan your adventure.
* 26220 B Pine Dell. Look for the sign between the Shell gas station and the Help Center. Monday 9 a.m. onward. Tools, kitchen items, art, miscellaneous.
* 55021 San Jacinto, Monday starting at 8 a.m.
* 55021 San Jacinto, off Fern Valley Road. Monday, 8am-3pm. Lots of cabin items: lamps, chairs, pictures, jewelry, antler items, clothes.
53121 Tollgate Road, corner of Canyon & Tollgate. Monday 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Multi-family sale. Handyman tools, auto, plumbing, electrical & household items. Collectibles from antiques to frog knick knacks to military garb to jewelry. Women’s clothing & shoes including new from small to tall. CDs in great condition, size 11.5 rollerblades, huge ceramic plant pots. Early birds welcome.
* 24900 Marion Ridge, just past the fire station at the old lodge. Monday 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.. Books, snow board, dune buggy, Star Wars collectibles, glassware, etc..
* 52560 Pine Ridge. Monday 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Antiques and collectibles, oak table, armoire, oil lamps, art, tea cups, metal signs, dry sink, ball jars, tea pots, everyday dish set service for 8, meat grinders… and much more.
** Note: some sales may close earlier than noted, depending on shoppers.
** More sales are listed in Idyllwild Town Crier , the town’s newspaper.
** If you are an Idyllwild resident, you can see more locations by visiting Idyllwild Swap ‘N’ Shop on Facebook. It is a closed group.